Skip to content

I need help with funding

Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) – Full-time study in further or third level 

SUSI (Student Universal Support Ireland) provides financial support to eligible students in the form of maintenance grants and/or fees. 

Visit to apply and check your eligibility. 

Full-time study for those unemployed - Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) 

If you are unemployed, parenting alone or have a disability and you are getting certain welfare payments, you may be able to take part in a second or third-level education course and get a Back to Education Allowance (BTEA). This means: 

  • You can keep your social welfare payment and return to approved full-time courses 
  • You must be progressing in your education 
  • You will not qualify if you have a post graduate qualification 
  • To find out if you qualify contact the Adult Education Guidance and Information Service or local Intreo Centre 

Visit and    

Part-time study for those unemployed - The Part-Time Education Option (PTEO) 

If you are unemployed you may be able to keep your Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit and attend a part-time day or evening course of education or training. If you are offered work while on the course you will be expected to accept the job offer. You can be any age and may be unemployed for any length of time before starting a part-time course of education. To find out if you qualify contact your Intreo centre or social welfare office.


Part-time study for those employed 

There is currently no funding available for part-time education for those employed. However tax relief may be available for tuition fees paid for approved courses in Irish third level institutions. It is available to repeat, postgraduate and part-time students. A list of approved courses and colleges can be found on 

For specific funding supports for Mature Students, students with disabilities and asylum seekers and refugees contact the education provider you are applying to.  

Back to top